
As parents, we are teachers to our children. I have been told before, that the most influential years of a child's life are the first five years. It is our responsibility to teach them right from wrong, good manners and how to love.
Some of this knowledge comes from direct lessons from parent to child. Most things are learned by the child watching the parent. Therefore, it is important for Kris and I to remember not to drink milk out the carton from the fridge, use our spoon when getting the last of the milk in our cereal bowl and to always look both ways when crossing the street. Jonah will walk up to us sometimes and do something that neither of us have taught him. He just picked it up by observation.
One thing that Kris and I do not hold back on is showing our love towards one another. We hug and kiss when leaving for work in the morning. We hug and kiss when we are home from work in the afternoon. There are family hugs that take place every morning with Jonah and even Tanner gets hugs and kisses too.
It is amazing what a child will learn by observation. During the night time routine with Jonah, Kris gets his hugs, snuggles and giggles with Jonah before I read him a book. Most of the time, Jonah's hug is his head laying on your shoulder. But tonight, Jonah gave Kris his first real hug. Jonah wrapped both arms around Kris's neck and I watch my husband melt right where he was standing. It was the best night time routine to date. I got choked up watching my son show love in a real hug and kiss tonight.
I am grateful for the opportunity to be a teacher to my son. I look forward to teaching him new words, how to tie his shoes. drink from a big boy cup and to always love one another.

No comments:
Post a Comment