Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Dear God, It's Me, Kelly

I feel like I am on a first name basis with God, the nice ladies at daycare and the nurses at our pediatricians office.

I pray a lot these days. I pray for guidance on how to be a parent. I pray for organization of my day and activities. I pray for patience as I go through the initiation to parenthood. I pray for health and happiness for my baby boy. I pray for my boss to continue to be patient with me as I am out of work more than I use to be in order to care for my son who is sick. I pray to God and thank him every day for the blessings he has provided in my life. I prayed early last Wednesday morning for my son who had a 103.6 temperature.

There we are, Kris and I sound asleep in the bed. At 12:00 in the morning we are woken up by Jonah crying. Now to back up for a minute, Kris had to leave work early last Tuesday because Jonah was running a 101.6 fever at daycare. To back up one step further, Jonah received his 4 month shots last Monday. I stayed home with him on Monday thinking this would be the worst day for symptoms to occur. Back to 12:00 in the morning, we go upstairs and pick him up and I knew. I knew his fever was a lot higher than 101. This is what began my first night of Jonah having a fever. Nothing Kris or I could do was going to make him better. My first thought, call the doctor's office. Second thought, was what do I remember about having a fever growing up. I remember I always like a cold wash cloth on my forehead. So this is what I did along with giving him Tylenol. We were up and down all night and even Thursday, Jonah was running a fever over 101 and has lots of dirty diapers. It appears from literature of the rotovirus vaccine that 1 to 3% of children vaccinated can experience symptoms. My child would be part of this small percentage. I prayed a lot that night.


This next paragraph has nothing to do with the one above, because for once Jonah is not sick because of exposures from Daycare. I like my daycare. I am comfortable with the teachers, it is a cozy environment and everyone is super nice. They were concerned when Jonah was not in school Monday and each day this past week I have talked to Ms. Kitty, who always answers the phone. I can tell they care about the children they watch over and to a new mom, this means everything. Just in less than two months of being in daycare, I have already gotten two calls to pick him up early. Each of those calls meant another couple of days before he would return to school. I try not to think about all of the daycare we pay for, but do not use. I shutter each time I check my PTO (paid time off) when I complete my time sheet for the week. This is what every mother you talk to says "just wait and see how often Jonah will be sick". It is no fun to go through this grace period of "building the immune system". But if I had to pick, I would rather him build up now than when he starts grade school. These days it just seems we can not catch a break. Jonah, Kris and I are fighters. You can knock us down, kick us while we are down, but we will always stand back up.

There have been many Monday mornings where I am one of the many parents causing the phone line at the doctor's office to be busy. It is the same routine. You begin calling a couple of minutes before you know the line will be open, hoping you will be one of the lucky ones to get through first. I love the idea of having a place to leave a message of what is going on with your child and having a nurse call you back to answer questions. Sometimes I feel like the nurses forget how many new moms are out there. New moms require more energy and handholding. New moms need to be told it will be ok, what should be done to make your child feel better and they need to know the nurses care for your child too. Every once in a while I feel like they are acting as if it is another day in the office for them. Is it fair for me to feel this way? I am not sure, but when it is 3:00 in the morning and my child has a 103.7 fever I need them to recognize this is a big deal to me, Jonah's mother.

So far, it is a week later and Jonah has been able to have two full days in daycare. He is feeling much better and is back to his happy, smiling, fun loving self. Kris and I have made it through the 3:00 am fever. Now our biggest worries is when will we get a peaceful nights sleep. Jonah has decided to wake up in the middle of the night when he realizes he has turned over on his stomach. However, tonight I think we have made a breakthrough. He is currently sleeping on his stomach. Keep your fingers crossed. I could use a complete night's sleep.


1 comment:

Life Glimpsed: The Denglers said...

i got your text this morning. we have a sick baby this week - a cold that is something fierce. i'm so glad jonah slept well last night and is feeling so much more like himself. and i love the picture. he is getting so big!!